Register today and get £50 off

Enter voucher code
in the booking form


If you want to know something that’s not covered here or need more information on any of these answers please email us


The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is required by most European countries (excluding the UK) as evidence of a basic level of boating competence and is often asked for by yacht charter companies.

There is actually no internationally agreed competence certificate and it is worth noting that the onus is on you to check the requirements of the country you are visiting.

Within the RYA scheme the ICC falls just below the level of Day Skipper practical. Holders of the RYA Day Skipper (Power or Sail) can apply for the ICC without any further tests. Simply apply for one from the RYA.

If you do not hold either of the above certificates you will need to carry out a test of basic boat handling, navigation ability and knowledge of the Collision Regulations to gain the ICC ticket. This is not a substitute for the RYA Day Skipper practical and for all intents and purposes the ICC will require the level of RYA Day Skipper to pass.

If you wish to venture onto the inland waterways of Europe you will require the normal ICC with an added CEVNI test. This test is a multiple choice questionnaire on the various rules and signs seen on inland waterways.
A "commercial endorsement" is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA's Codes of Practice for Small Commercial Vessels.

A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement.

The following certificates can receive the standard commercial endorsement:

Course completion certificates:

RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling Certificate
RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate (only if issued before 1 January 2005)

RYA Day Skipper practical course completion certificate supported by a Day Skipper shorebased course completion certificate. The Day Skipper shorebased course may be undertaken online or in the classroom. In either case, the exams must be invigilated.

Certificates of competence:

RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence

In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement.

The MCA's codes of practice categorise British flagged commercial yachts according to the type of yacht and the waters in which they operate. It is this categorisation that determines which of the above certificates you will need.

For more information see
If you are taking the course for leisure purposes, to charter, or as a stepping stone towards RYA Yachtmaster Offshore then you do not require invigilation.

If you intend to subsequently complete a Day Skipper Practical course with a commercial endorsement (which would also require; SRC, PPR, First Aid, Sea Survival and a Seafarers medical) then a non invigilated Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate will restrict you to operating commercially in area 6 (i.e. up to 3 miles from a nominated departure point, whereas an invigilated certificate, (and 12 months relevant experience) would allow you to operate in area 5 (i.e. up to 20 miles from a nominated departure point).
The majority of our students will not require invigilation.

However if you intend to use the certificate as entry into the OOW 3000 or Master 200 certification route then you will require invigilation.
The majority of our students will not require invigilation.

Invigilation is required if you intend to use this course as a pre-requisite for the RYA/MCA Ocean Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence Exam, or MCA Master 200 (unlimited) Certificate of Competence.
Invigilated exams must be taken at an RYA Recognised Training Centre and invigilated by an RYA Instructor. 

We cannot offer invigilated exams at our location but can assist you in finding an RYA Recognised Training Centre near you that may be able to offer this service. You should be aware that they may charge for this service.

You can make your own arrangements directly with the centre, but you should contact us once this has been agreed so that we can liaise with the RYA Training Centre to discuss the requirements for invigilation.

An invigilated assessment is taken under formal classroom conditions, using written exam papers that we will supply to the invigilating RYA Training Centre.  These are then returned to us to be marked by our our instructors who will then issue feedback and certification upon successful completion.
We use cookies to improve the user experience and help make this website better. If you continue to use this site you agree to our Cookie Policy. More details here